What is functional nutrition? What is integrative health?
Functional nutrition derives from the functional medicine model. Functional medicine addresses the underlying cause of disease and considers all systems of the body together instead of considering only an isolated set of symptoms or the traditional disease-centered focus. Functional medicine utilizes a patient-centered approach and considers a patient's history as well as genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors. Western (or conventional) medicine is employed as necessary. Functional nutrition recognizes that food impacts the body down to a cellular level and thus, plays a role in both preventing disease and contributing to its development. Similarly, a sensitivity to a food (or foods), the malabsorption of nutrients, or the inability to digest optimally, etc., are all points to consider when evaluating for a root cause. At its core, functional nutrition is where food and physiology meet.
Integrative health also considers genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors to assess a client's health profile. Relationships, career, exercise, mindfulness and life satisfaction are considered and round out the integrative half of Wellness Girl.
What is your food philosophy?
My Philosophy with Ingredients is as follows:
- Yes to organic whenever possible. If you’re new to this concept. start slow by following the EWG’s list of most to least contaminated, avoiding those higher on the list. (See here for the list)
- Eat foods as close to their original packaging as possible. Conversely, reduce your intake of highly processed foods.
- Avoid any products containing antibiotics, hormones, steroids, pesticides, or any other toxic component.
- When purchasing meat, dairy and egg products, strive for pasture-raised.
- The majority of recipes on this site are gluten-free. If a recipe calls for oats and you have a gluten sensitivity, please make sure you purchase gluten-free oats.
- Reduce your intake of products containing GMO’s [genetically modified organisms].
- Shopping local includes seasonal farmer’s markets. In the off season, consider joining an organic produce delivery service which may be more cost effective and economical than your nearby supermarket.
- Substitutions can be made. If you’re not sure, please ask.
How many sessions are ideal to accomplish my goals?
Who created the recipes on your site?
Will you consult with others on my health team?
I have complicated medical issues. Can you help me?
I have more questions that weren’t answered here.