Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tble chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 Tble + 2-3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 oz canned coconut milk
- 2 Tble chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & white pepper to taste
- Chop onion and garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes to enhance their health-promoting benefits.
- Peel and cut squash.
- Heat 1 Tble broth in medium soup pot.
- Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger, and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add turmeric and curry powder, and mix well.
- Add squash and broth, and mix.
- Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place in blender and blend with coconut milk.
- Make sure you blend in batches filling blender only half full.
- Start on low speed, so hot soup does not erupt and burn you.
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Thin with a little broth if needed.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Reheat, and add cilantro.
- Excellent source of Vitamin A!
By George Mateljan
Wellness Girl http://wellnessgirl.net/